Re: SLAYER announcement and help request for preparing a GNU package

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: SLAYER announcement and help request for preparing a GNU package
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 09:37:30 -0400

Panicz Maciej Godek <address@hidden> writes:

> I see now that I might have gotten something wrong, but e.g. in
> libguile/alst.c there was a definition:
> SCM_DEFINE (scm_acons, "acons", 3, 0, 0,
> (SCM key, SCM value, SCM alist),
> "Add a new key-value pair to @var{alist}. A new pair is\n"
> "created whose car is @var{key} and whose cdr is @var{value}, and
> the\n"
> "pair is consed onto @var{alist}, and the new list is returned.
> This\n"
> "function is @emph{not} destructive; @var{alist} is not modified.")
> #define FUNC_NAME s_scm_acons
> {
> return scm_cons (scm_cons (key, value), alist);
> }
> #undef FUNC_NAME
>
> and (procedure-documentation acons) returns #f.

Interesting.  I notice that ",d acons" at the REPL still works.  The
REPL command uses 'object-documentation' from (ice-9 documentation).

> Now I see that it's
> meant rather to generate the manual than to provide a docstring.

No, it's not used to generate the manual.  It's used to generate
guile-procedures.txt, which is consulted by 'object-documentation'.

I agree that the current state of docstring handling leaves much to be
desired.  Maybe we should start a discussion on guile-devel about how
the improve things.

     Regards,
       Mark