Re: Guile Game Library

From: Javier Sancho
Subject: Re: Guile Game Library
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 08:38:20 +0200

At http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2013-05/msg00025.html
you can read an interesting discussion about games development on
Guile.

In my opinion, although it would be nice to have something similar to
pygame or pyglet, that's not exactly the way. It would be better a
more functional style library or engine, as Haskell Yampas, or an
entity oriented system as Unity3D.

For me, binding i/o features is not an issue. Currently, using Guile
FFI allow us to quickly achieve this task. And we have Guile-SDL and
Figl. It's more important to design a good scalable way for making
games, something that you could use to make prototyping and to make a
great professional game, too.

Last days, I read "What is an entity system framework for game
development?" [1], "Entity Systems are the future of MMOG development"
[2] and "Purely Functional Retrogames" [3] and I am directing Gacela,
my experimental games engine, to a similar style of doing things,
using components for the entities and working with subsystems that
could run in the same thread or in various threads. You can find very
interesting articles at Haskell Game Development page [4].

Cheers.

[1] http://www.richardlord.net/blog/what-is-an-entity-framework
[2]
http://t-machine.org/index.php/2007/09/03/entity-systems-are-the-future-of-mmog-development-part-1/