Re: Proper way of making a single-pointer smob

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: Proper way of making a single-pointer smob
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 00:10:28 -0700 (PDT)

> Mike Gran <address@hidden> skribis:

>> 3. Some versions of Guile have a bug where the last smob defined
>> in your program is never freed, even if you've cleared out the
>> pointers and called scm_gc.

> What is this?  I’d be happy to read more details.  :-)

To be more specific, if you want to make sure the GC frees every smob,
you should call scm_gc before the program ends.

But, if you place the scm_gc call inside of a function
designated by C's atexit() function, instead of, say, at the end of
main(), it may not free all the SMOBs.  I never investigated why.
I assumed it was a race.

So, it is probably not really a Guile bug, but, rather, that calling
scm_gc from within atexit() is a bad idea.

The program below gives me the following output in Guile 2.0.9

Allocating #1
Allocating #2
Allocating #3
Allocating #4