Re: GSoC: Guile-Emacs + Emacsy

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: GSoC: Guile-Emacs + Emacsy
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 23:15:45 -0400

This is great news! I'm glad to hear about both of these projects. Please do send updates to the mailing lists as they progress!

Thanks,
Noah

On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 8:10 AM, Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Guilers & Emacsers!

I’m pleased to announce that there will be two Guile-related projects
going on as part of GSoC this year:

  • Guile-Emacs, by BT Templeton
    http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/bpt/35002

    BT will continue the excellent work that has been done on Guile and
    Emacs integration.  Previous GSoCs focused on providing a
    full-fledged Emacs Lisp front-end to Guile’s compiler and VM.  This
    project focuses on the missing piece: replacing the Emacs Lisp
    interpreter in Emacs by Guile.

  • Emacsy, by Shane Celis
    https://google-melange.appspot.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2013/shanecelis/1

    This is another approach to the Emacs/Guile vision: Shane will work
    on a framework, Emacsy, that will allow application developers to
    easily “emacsify” them–i.e., by providing the mechanisms for a
    “key-lookup-execute-command loop” similar to that of Emacs, with
    Guile inside.

(Shane and BT: feel free to introduce yourself and your project.)

I’m the mentor for these two projects, but I really hope they will
develop with good interaction with the Guile and Emacs folk.  In
particular, I would like development issues and road maps to be
discussed primarily on the relevant project mailing lists.

I’m very excited about these two projects.  I think they will help
promote a vision where users are in control and can readily exert their
freedom to study and adapt the software to their needs.

Thanks a lot to José and Giuseppe who have wonderfully handled GNU’s
participation in GSoC, and happy hacking!

Ludo’.