Re: guile 2.0.9 build on mingw

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: guile 2.0.9 build on mingw
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 22:19:13 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> skribis:

>> Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 20:17:25 +0300
>> From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>>
>> Ah, so REPL means "read-eval-print loop".  It's a bit bizarre to see
>> this acronym used and explained in the Guile reference manual, but
>> not indexed, so please consider the trivial 2-line patch below.
>
> As long as we are on the topic of the Info docs: producing Info
> manuals with UTF-8 encoded characters is not a good idea for the MinGW
> build, because the Windows console does not support UTF-8, and so at
> least the stand-alone Info reader will show a lot of garbage on
> Windows.  I suggest to use --disable-encoding for the MinGW build.

The problem is that the tarball comes with a .info file so that users
don’t need to have makeinfo installed (as per the GCS).

What about suggesting Windows users to use Emacs to view the
documentation?  My feeling is that people aware of Info on Windows may
already being doing this anyway.

Thanks,
Ludo’.