Re: Exceptions that pass continuations

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Exceptions that pass continuations
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 18:14:18 +0200

() Panicz Maciej Godek <address@hidden>
() Fri, 19 Jul 2013 15:52:30 +0200

   > In this case, are OpenGL "lights" not amenable to wrapping as a SMOB?

   I've been considering making new type for lights -- perhaps that
   would be a little more introspective -- but it turned out more
   efficient to represent them in straightforward manner as integers.

   However, the thing with the lights is that they need to be disabled
   explicitly -- otherwise the lights that are no longer needed would
   still lit the scene until the garbage collector decides to disable
   them.

If the integers are small, non-negative and disjoint, and the usage is
always plural (i.e., a "set of lights"), then you might consider using a
bit vector to model the set.

But a bit vector (alone) strikes me as very spartan.  Surely, there must
be some other state associated w/ a "light", such as color, intensity or
direction?  If so, then perhaps a bit vector plus a (compacted) struct
(accessible from both C and Scheme) might do the trick.  I suppose it's
high time to go educate myself before i spew further foolishness...

   Also, I recently read an article about garbage collector in mobile
   apps, and perhaps having some means to do without it would
   be a nice option. Here's the link:
   http://sealedabstract.com/rants/why-mobile-web-apps-are-slow/

Well, mobile apps is something i'm even MORE ignorant of (than OpenGL),
so i'll just say thanks for the link, and bow out of this thread now.

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502