Re: Creating a top level definition if none so far exists, on the fly.

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Creating a top level definition if none so far exists, on the fly.
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 14:37:30 +0100

On Thu, 15 Aug 2013 05:17:49 -0700 (PDT)
Mike Gran <address@hidden> wrote:

> > From: Richard Shann <address@hidden>
> >>  > From: Richard Shann <address@hidden>
> >>  >
> >>  > I have just started using GNU/Denemo under the guile 2.x and the
> >>  > following construct no longer works:
> >>  >
> >>  > (if (not (defined? 'ToggleFiguredBassMode::Active))
> >>  >     (define ToggleFiguredBassMode::Active #f))
> >>
> >>  I remember Andy once suggested on this list that
> >>
> >>  (define-once ...)
> >
> > Thank you! that works perfectly. Now there is the question of
> > supporting both guile 2.0 and 1.8 users. I seem to remember this
> > came up in another context, but unfortunately upgrading to Debian
> > Wheezy has lost me any easy access to my old emails.
> > I'll have a delve around to see if it can be done, but if anyone
> > just knows off the top of their head please say.
>
> Try looking at the various responses to this thread
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2013-02/msg00173.html

Hmm, so I asked about this before in February. Gives me an idea of the
extent of my memory span - it didn't even ring a bell. (I should
explain that I didn't myself have a guile 2.0 system at the time so I
was sorting this all out as a proxy for someone else...)
The consequence was that I didn't know of the other half dozen uses of
that construct which have persisted until now.

Well, thank you for not bawling me out.

Richard