Re: guile-2.0 on mingw: the sequel

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: guile-2.0 on mingw: the sequel
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 05:44:53 +0300

> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 19:24:17 -0400
> From:  <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On windows, I think you call GetModuleFileName() with the handle that was
> passed to DllMain().
> Is it possible for libguile to do that?

I see no reasons why not.

> Seems like most windows apps install everything into their own subtree.  The
> main application is not even on the system PATH!

That's not true.  On my machine, there's a single Posix-like tree
rooted at d:/usr, with everything below it.

Many (most?) installers will install the shared libraries into a
single system directory (e.g., C:/WINDOWS/system32), unless you
override the installation defaults, something the majority of users
won't do.

> On a POSIXy system, there are shared places for config files, libraries,
> documentation, and so on.  It's just different.  I don't see why we would
> need to be "relocatable" here.

One reason to be "relocatable" is to be able to easily run
applications from the build or source tree, while a different version
is installed on the system.