extending guile programs thru python (or lua, or whatever ...)

From: msematman
Subject: extending guile programs thru python (or lua, or whatever ...)
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2013 13:10:35 +0100

Hi Nala,

Thanks for replying. I noticed only after posting that the title was not
adjusted to the content, so i'm glad someone gave it a look.

The multi-lang feature of Guile is, in my opinion, a little bit
controversial. On one hand, it is certainly an advantage to be able to
use the underlying api while coding in a language of your choice. On the
other hand, my feeling is that the reason so many people find Python
language attractive is the plethora of modules ("batteries included")
that come with it, rather than the language structure. Just reading the
various hacker-news sites, you notice people saying one language is
better than the other, because person A's language of choice is faster
than person B's one, or has support for feature X. Obviously, they are
talking about the interpreters, not the benefits of the languages
themselves. While Guile certainly integrates splendidly with the GNU
system, the "workspace" of Guile is totally different than that of the
official python interpreter, so, perhaps, it is not to be expected that
suddenly masses using python switch over to Guile, just on the merit it
provides a python interface.

But, back to the topic, I think for special cases like mine (a
"Babylonian" extension for a specific program), multi-lang is quite a
grand
feature. Of course, pretty much anything can talk through C interface,
but that would mean creating an API for each popular language
separately.

Well, if there is anyone working/interested-in-working on integration
with Python, i'd be glad
to lend a hand.

Cheers,

msematman