Re: simple example to evaluate strings

From: Paul Emsley
Subject: Re: simple example to evaluate strings
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 13:06:21 +0000

On 21/12/13 03:57, Josh Stratton wrote:
I'm completely new to guile and am trying to find a simple example of evaluating a string inside C with some kind of context. I want to execute small self-contained strings provided by a user. I've looked at various examples, but everything I've seen seems uses the shell, which seems like more than I need. The context doesn't need to persist between evals.

Is there an example that would allow me to do something like this?

float evaluateExpression(char* expression)
{
    if (!initialized) {
        scm_init_guile();
        initialized = true;
    }

    // making stuff up here
    some_guile_context = ...
some_guile_context.add("someDef", 5); // add some definitionos the expression might expect to be defined some_guile_response = some_guile_context.eval(expression); // expression might use "someDef" like (* someDef 8)

    return scm_arg_to_float(scm_guile_response[0]);
}

http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Fly-Evaluation.html

SCM r = scm_c_eval_string(expression);
if (scm_is_true(scm_number_p(r))
   value = scm_to_double(r);

But you will probably want to wrap the evaluation of expression in a scm_catch().

P.