Re: GSoC: Rohan to work on DHCP client

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: GSoC: Rohan to work on DHCP client
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 10:23:17 +0200

Hi Rohan,

Rohan Prinja <address@hidden> skribis:

> Also, how do you suggest I get started with the pre-coding period? I
> was thinking of rereading the ISC dhclient code, this time more
> carefully,

Sounds good.

> and in parallel, adding some packages to the Guix to get a feel for
> how porting packages to the archive works.

This is a nice thing to do ;-), but it’s obviously not really needed for
the DHCP work itself.

> Once I'm done reading dhclient, I could start on designing the CLI. Is
> this fine or do you think an alternate plan of action would be better?

I guess the CLI will be very similar to ‘dhclient’, so I would recommend
not spending too much time on it at the beginning.

I think the crux will instead be API design, basically refining what you
describe in the proposal under the “May 25 - May 31” heading.  A good
idea would be to write a hypothetical ‘main’ procedure of a DHCP client
program that would use the DHCP module.

HTH,
Ludo’.