Viper C0 alfa

From: Michael Tiedtke
Subject: Viper C0 alfa
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 09:52:53 +0200

Announcement:

Viper (Pre-Release C0 alfa): a remake of the classical Visual Display Editor to replace Emacs and its Viper mode for me.

There is a bazaar repository (and other Launchpad goodies) at: https://launchpad.net/viper-editor System Dependencies: GNU Guile version 1.8.8 or compatible, stty version 8.23 or compatible from GNU coreutils

How to launch:
change to source directory and start guile
> (set! %load-path (cons "." %load-path)) ; add the current directory to the load path
> (load "viper.scm")

(This software package currently is a pre-release and not usable as an editor.)

Viper is written in Guile/GOOPS Scheme (Version 1.8) and contains the following interesting parts which are in fluid development: a working terminal application driver, extendible command line, simple screen geometry.

(Future versions might rely on a cleaned up and modified version of Guile 1.8 called Viper System Interface which will be available as a separate package).

Goals:
AAA) a usable beta stage version with mostly complete editing features

1) a graphical user interface w/o new dependencies on existing toolkits and widget sets
2) Viper System Interface

Other checkpoints on the interstellar road map: a port of org-mode (compatible to Emacs23 org-mode), *NIX shell like features, Message Passing Extension to GOOPS, the ability to spawn and control other processes and projects to let the editor remain a simple editor.