Re: [ANN] Guile-SSH 0.8.0 released

From: Artyom Poptsov
Subject: Re: [ANN] Guile-SSH 0.8.0 released
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2015 21:06:31 +0300

Hi Ludovic.

> Maybe this went unnoticed, but these are really awesome features!

Thanks!

> I think the manual should explicitly remind people that the REPL
> server must already be running on the remote machine.

I guess it is already mentioned in the manual.  From "(guile-ssh)
Distributed Forms":

  To make use of the procedures listed in this section you will need an
  SSH daemon and a GNU Guile REPL server both running on the remote
  host.

Or should I elaborate on this?

> I wonder if it would make sense to offer an alternate option where the
> calling machine invokes ?guile? on the remote side and talks to it on
> stdin; this could simplify some use cases.  WDYT?

Sure enough, we can call 'guile' on the remote side using
'channel-request-exec' before using of procedures from (ssh dist).  That
looks like a great idea, I need to think about the implementation.

> However, this:

>   (let ((session (make-session #:user "ludo" #:host "xxx")))
>     (connect! session)
>     (userauth-agent! session)
>     (with-ssh (make-node session)
>               (use-modules (ice-9 ftw))
>               (scandir "/")))

> returns only two values, the language and the module.

Thank you for reporting that bug, fixed in 76d8df2 on the master.  Also
I fixed parsing of RREPL errors, in c7b6a79.

Please check if it works for you.

- Artyom

--
Artyom V. Poptsov <address@hidden>;  GPG Key: 0898A02F