Re: [RFC] Guile project generator

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: [RFC] Guile project generator
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 23:24:51 +0200

Am Dienstag, 15. September 2015, 14:28:28 schrieb David Thompson:
> > Maybe we should consider to make it a GNU standard one, if so, we need
> > to add ChangeLog and NEWS. And BUGS/HACKING/THANKS could be optional.
>
> Yes, those would also be good to include.

A template for the NEWS file would be good, so people know what to do
with it. Example (built on the NEWS file of Guile):

------
[The NEWS file lists user-facing changes for the releases, newest first]

Changes in 0.1 (since 0.0):

* Use standard project structure.

This makes it easy to build and test the project with anything which
supports GNU autotools and provides the basic information:
- NEWS (this file)
- README (description of your project)
- configure.ac (autoconf file with project name, current version and
dependencies)
- ChangeLog (autogenerated)
- Makefile.am (automake file with build instructions)
- pre-inst-env.in (??)
- COPYING (the license)

------

To make it nice, we could include a generator for the ChangeLog
instead of the ChangeLog itself. For projects managed with git it
needs a bit of shell mangling, but for Mercurial it’s trivial:

ChangeLog:
        hg log --style changelog > $@

Since many people will be using git, something conditional would be
better:

ChangeLog:
        if test -d .hg; then hg log --style changelog > $@; elif test -d .git;
then git log --no-merges --format='xxx%aI::%aN %n%n%B[%h]' | sed

(or a more full featured script like this:
http://stackoverflow.com/a/16738477/7666 )

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Celebrate with ye beauty and gather yer friends for a Pirate Party!
    → http://1w6.org/english/flyerbook-rules#pirate-party