Re: FOSDEM call for Guile related talks

From: Alex Sassmannshausen
Subject: Re: FOSDEM call for Guile related talks
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2015 11:35:07 +0100

Hello,

I'm approaching a state for an initial release of a Guile library I'm
working on to make command line application configuration easy and
declarative.

The idea is that within a project you have a single declaration of
internal configuration variables, command line configuration flags and
configuration file settings.  From this declaration the library can
figure out whether it needs to write configuration files, which it can
generate; it will then override the internal settings with values from
the configuration files, and finally it will handle the command line
arguments using getopt-long.

At the end the program developer is provided with a data structure that
has the same interface as the getopt-long data structure.

In addition the library is able to generate --help/usage and --version
messages of a pretty high quality.

Finally the library supports "recursive commands". I.e. commands such
as:
$ foo --verbose bar baz /home/basheep/blah
would execute the subscript baz with the --verbose flag and the
/hom.../blah filename as arguments (if baz is declared as a
subcommand; otherwise it would execute the subscript bar with baz +
filename + --verbose as arguments, etc.).

I'm cautiously optimistic that the first release should be able to
handle a significant number of use cases.

Are we still looking for talks at FOSDEM?  And if so, would people be
interested in a talk on this project?

Best wishes,

Alex