Re: GNU Guile unit test framework

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: GNU Guile unit test framework
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 09:42:57 -0600

Amirouche Boubekki writes:

> Le 2015-12-03 14:54, Jan Synáček a écrit:
>> Hello,
>>
>> does a unit test framework for GNU Guile exist? Something like
>> "unittest" for Python for example.
>
> The unit test framework is srfi-64 [0]. You can find an example use in
> 8sync [1]. Mind the fact that it doesn't use `test-group` which can be
> required in complex settings.
>
> [...]
>
> [0] http://srfi.schemers.org/srfi-64/srfi-64.html
> [1] https://notabug.org/cwebber/8sync/src/master/tests/test-agenda.scm

Yes, I borrowed that pattern from David Thompson (thanks Dave!).

It's a quick and dirty way to do tests.  Things could be better
though... 8sync does not report each individual test's success/failure
count in the final result, just the whole module.

I think we could probably improve upon things.

However, I *do* recommend setting up something like this as early as
absolutely possible.  Moving REPL experiments you hack on into tests as
soon as you verify that they work is a great way to build up tests
without hating doing it.

 - Chris