Re: Running script from directory with UTF-8 characters

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Running script from directory with UTF-8 characters
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 21:33:32 +0200

> From: Marko Rauhamaa <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 21:18:28 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:
>
> >> From: Marko Rauhamaa <address@hidden>
> >> The Linux kernel just doesn't care, and shouldn't.
> >
> > Guile is not an OS kernel. Guile is an environment for writing
> > applications. On the application level, you _should_ care, or else you
> > won't be able to manipulate file names in meaningful ways.
>
> To me, a programming language is a medium of writing programs for an
> operating system. I don't think a programming language should "shield"
> me from the OS. Instead, it should make the whole gamut of the OS
> facilities available to me.

I see no contradiction here, as long as you acknowledge that Guile
should be good for more than just OS level stuff.

> >> I'm not saying bytevectors are elegant, but we should not replace
> >> them with wishful thinking.
> >
> > No need for wishful thinking. Study what Emacs does and do something
> > similar.
>
> Why don't you tell me already what emacs does?

I did, you elided that.  It represents text as superset of UTF-8, and
uses high codepoints above the Unicode space for raw bytes.

> >> Guile 1.x's and Python 2.x's bytevector/string confusion was actually
> >> a very happy medium. Neither the OS nor the programming language
> >> placed any interpretation to the byte sequences. That was left to the
> >> application.
> >
> > And that is wrong. Applications cannot handle that, they need some
> > heavy help from the infrastructure.
>
> That can be managed through support libraries.

Guile is one huge support library, so it should include that built-in.