Re: How do you earn money with Guile?

From: Tristan Colgate
Subject: Re: How do you earn money with Guile?
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2016 19:24:11 +0000

If you are adaptable, interested, and productive, you can earn money.
Frankly, if you learn a language because of its industry position on any
given day, you're going to have a very narrow view of your craft.

To play the game a bit, I earned money writing guile, or rather, I wrote
guile to earn money. I wrote guile-snmp to manage several large networks.
guile-snmp was developed to run parts of the NHS.net network (I re-wrote
several tools back to perl net-snmp for the benefit of colleagues, but
tools were developed with guile-snmp first, far more quickly, and concisely
that I could have achieved otherwise). I used and extended it for a 5 or 6
years and it became by far the best SNMP reporting tool I've ever used
(yes, I'm biased). I'm no longer in the network management business, and
SNMP has (unjustly) fallen out of favour, so sadly I don't really do much
with it any more.

  More importantly, I learnt an enormous amount about functional
programming, learned to really lovee lisp (and scheme, and guile). That
knowledge definitely made me a better programmer. It made me really "get"
various aspects javascript development that I'd have struggled with
otherwise. Got me interested in SML and haskell (the alternatives to the
cult of lambda).

  So my time with guile has, indirectly,  gotten me plenty of jobs, even if
the people that hired me didn't know it.