Re: anyone define port types?

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: anyone define port types?
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 19:02:09 +0200

On Thu 14 Apr 2016 16:08, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> I am working on improving our port implementation to take advantage of
>> the opportunity to break ABI in 2.2.  I am wondering how much I can
>> break C API as well -- there are some changes that would allow better
>> user-space threading
>> (e.g. http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.guile.devel/14158/focus=15463
>> or Chris Webber's 8sync).  But those changes would require some
>> incompatible changes to the C API related to port internals.  This API
>> is pretty much only used when implementing port types.  So, I would like
>> to collect a list of people that implement their own ports :) I know
>> Guile-GNOME does it for GNOME-VFS, though GNOME-VFS is super-old at this
>> point...  Anyway.  Looking forward to your links :)
>
> What do you conclude from this poll?  :-)
>
> From what you’ve seen, how do you think current uses would impact the
> refactoring work (and vice versa)?

Sorry for the late response :)

My conclusion is that we should not change anything about the Scheme
interface, but that with close communication with C port hackers, we can
feel OK about changing the C interface to make it both more simple and
more expressive.  Since libguile is parallel-installable and you have to
select the version of your Guile when you build your project, of course
people will be able to update / upgrade when they choose to.

I put in a lot of effort to the documentation; check it out:

  http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/master/guile.html/Input-and-Output.html

Andy