Re: anyone define port types?

From: William ML Leslie
Subject: Re: anyone define port types?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 13:38:39 +1000

On 20 June 2016 at 06:09, Chris Vine <address@hidden> wrote:
> OK I am grateful for your patience in explaining this.  I need to think
> about it, but while this works where all events come from user-derived
> events, I doubt that this would work with guile-gnome and the glib main
> loop in the round, because for gtk+ to function the glib main loop must
> block within glib's own internal call to the poll() and not within the
> guile prompt, or gdk and other events will jam up.  You would probably
> need to run the glib main loop in its own (pthread) thread, about which
> you have previously given dire warnings so far as guile as it currently
> stands is concerned.
>
> As I say, I really need to think more about this and look further at
> the code.  I may well be missing something.

If the event loop is external as you suggested, you could use a
different implementation of the loop that used g_io_add_watch and
returned to the glib mainloop when you're in a glib or gtk
application.

--
William Leslie

Notice:
Likely much of this email is, by the nature of copyright, covered
under copyright law.  You absolutely MAY reproduce any part of it in
accordance with the copyright law of the nation you are reading this
in.  Any attempt to DENY YOU THOSE RIGHTS would be illegal without
prior contractual agreement.