Re: compiler messages

From: Tobin Harding
Subject: Re: compiler messages
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 09:38:44 +1000

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 05:59:09AM -0700, Matt Wette wrote:

> > On Jun 30, 2016, at 3:57 AM, Tobin Harding <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > Request for advice as to whether to submit patch?
> >
> > I have hacked together a patch to quieten down the compiler when loading a
> > file
> > at the REPL (when using --auto-compile).
>
> I like the idea but I think it may not be popular with the maintainers.
>
> And to be honest, I’d prefer the argument to be “—with-compiler-messages” and
> the default to be off.

Thanks for your input Matt. I actually added two command line options, one
(which is the default, and not previously mentioned) --with-compiler-messages
and one that achieves the goal, --without-compiler-messages.

I thought it most polite to leave the default behaviour unchanged, hence the
choice of names and default behaviour.

> You can get rid of the messages by piping stderr to /dev/null:

We only want to inhibit the messages for a successful build, we still want to
see
any compiler warnings, a la running make on a single file.

thanks,
Tobin.