Re: There is no SCAN (introducing Compan)

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: There is no SCAN (introducing Compan)
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 16:17:07 +0200

Panicz Maciej Godek <address@hidden> writes:

> Therefore, I wrote Compan, which is meant to be a "Community Package
> Manager" for Guile.

Unfortunately, it's specific to guile.

Wouldn't it be better to have a system that could be used to distribute
scheme libraries, including portable libraries and portability layers?

Granted, we may want to support r5rs, r6rs and r7rs libraries (perhaps
some libraries can run on all those versions; after all, most r4rs
libraries also ran on r5rs), in addition to the various common or main
scheme implementations.

I guess some basis for such a system could be quicklisp (
http://quicklisp.org https://github.com/quicklisp ), which would have to
be ported to scheme from Common Lisp (and yet, some parts such as
infrastructure quicklisp-dist or quicklisp-controller wouldn't have to
be translated, or only much later).