Re: Solid modeling in Guile

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Solid modeling in Guile
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 13:40:32 -0400

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:

> Matthew Keeter <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I wrote a computer-aided design (CAD) tool that you may find interesting.
>>
>> It’s a solid modeling tool that uses Guile scripts to define objects (and
>> constructive solid geometry + functional representations under the hood).
>
> Sounds very interesting!
>
>> Project page:  http://www.mattkeeter.com/projects/ao/
>> Source:  https://github.com/mkeeter/ao
>
> The names 'ao' and 'libao' are already taken by a widely-used cross
> platform audio library.  See http://www.xiph.org/ao/

Following up to myself: the problem here is that since 'ao' is already
taken, distributions wishing to include your package will need to invent
a new name.  It might be better for you to choose that new name, to
prevent a situation where each distro picks a different name, which
would be rather confusing for users wishing to install your package.

To make this more concrete, I would like to add your package to GNU
Guix, where 'ao' is the aforementioned audio library.  What name shall
I choose for your package?

       Mark