Stack traces

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Stack traces
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 23:16:17 +0100

Hello,

Cecil McGregor <address@hidden> skribis:

> My first problem lies in the lack of a decent debugger.
> (I can hear the screams of more enlightened Guilers
> already!) The stack traces seldom provide filenames
> and line numbers to hint where a problem might hide.
> While I've read advice to allow the appearance of
> filenames/line numbers, I still can't seem to
> consistently find these in a stack trace.
>
> I would really like the filename/line number to appear
> in a stack trace with the actual source code and not
> some partially opaque macro expansion.

Could you mock up the stack trace as you would like to see it displayed?

I think it would be helpful because what you write here is a common
complaint, but it’s also something that seasoned Guilers no longer
realize because they’re used to it.  So a fresh eye on what it should
look like is great.

There are also deeper technical issues, such as tail calls, but we can
put them aside for now.

Thanks,
Ludo’.