Re: guile can't find a chinese named file

From: Marko Rauhamaa
Subject: Re: guile can't find a chinese named file
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 19:53:46 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:

>> Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 10:18:32 +0100
>> From: <address@hidden>
>> I think the only sane way to see a Linux file system path is the way
>> Linux sees it: as a byte string.
>
> This would lose a lot in 99% of use cases. You are, in effect,
> suggesting a "reverse optimization", whereby the majority of use cases
> is punished in favor of a small minority, based on theoretical
> intractability.

I think this is a question of software security as well. These
"theoretical" loopholes could be used for sabotage that evades testing.

>> Sure, some helper infrastructure to try to make characters of that
>> mess will be welcome, but that should be absolutely robust wrt.
>> unexpected input e.g. bad UTF-8) and leave control to the
>> application.
>
> Most applications won't like this burden, because most application
> programmers don't know enough about the issue to solve them correctly,
> especially for users of other OSes and locales.

AFAIK, Windows allows pathnames that are illegal Unicode as well, namely
pathnames with isolated surrogate code points (<URL:
https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/12056>).

I don't have access to a Windows machine so maybe somebody else could
confirm my suspicion.

Marko