Re: guile can't find a chinese named file

From: Marko Rauhamaa
Subject: Re: guile can't find a chinese named file
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 13:04:42 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden>:

> Marko Rauhamaa <address@hidden> writes:
>> You probably cannot produce valid UTF-8 out of invalid UTF-8 snippets
>> with split(1). However split(1) does form filenames out of its
>> arguments by concatenation:
>>
>>     split --additional-suffix=suffix file prefix
>>
>> produces these kinds of filenames:

> I don't really get your point here.  Why would you start with invalid
> UTF-8 sequences in the filenames?

There's nothing preventing such filenames from appearing on a Linux
system. They might come from a zip file with Latin-1 -encoded names, for
example.

I have files older than UTF-8 on my Linux system. I have files encoded
in Latin-3, for example.

Worst of all, they might be part of an attack on your system. For
example, files whose names contain invalid UTF-8 could evade file
listing altogether, they might make your program crash in unexpected
ways or you might not be able to remove them.

Marko