Re: guile can't find a chinese named file

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: guile can't find a chinese named file
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 22:10:05 +0200

> From: Marko Rauhamaa <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 21:35:12 +0200
>
> >> If emacs managed to restore a binary/text unification (and infect Guile
> >> in the process), that would be quite an accomplishment.
> >
> > I don't understand what "binary/text unification" means, sorry.
>
> I say filenames are byte strings. Guile says they are character strings.
> You are saying they are both at once.

Yes, to be viable in real-life situation, Guile needs to support
character strings with occasional embedded raw bytes that cannot be
interpreted as characters.  Which means string implementation needs to
have a special representation for these raw bytes that would allow
lossless round-trip, and at the same time avoid the pitfalls some of
which were mentioned here.