Re: How to make GNU Guile more successful

From: Amirouche
Subject: Re: How to make GNU Guile more successful
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 21:26:16 +0100

Le 16/02/2017 à 20:18, sirgazil a écrit :
Amirouche says:
What block you from contributing to the wide ecosystem of GNU Guile?
I think about Guile (and GuixSD) almost every day, but I don't contribute as
much as I'd like mostly because of lack of resources to do so. Sadly, it's hard
to find the opportunity to immerse yourself in libre projects.

As for how to make GNU Guile more successful, I'd like to see what I call a "Hello
Guile" series of guides targeted at people who just want to start programming. The
series would include:

+ Hello Guile: Getting Started (An overview of programming, and how to start
with Guile)
+ Hello Guile: Let's develop a console application
+ Hello Guile: Let's develop a desktop application
+ Hello Guile: Let's develop a web application
+ Hello Guile: Let's develop a 2D game
+ Hello Guile: Let's package your software for distribution

Additionally, I'd like the following:

+ More high level libraries [1]
+ Add Guile to the GNOME Developer Center [2][3][4]
+ Package more guile libraries in Guix

Finally, we need to clone a bunch of people to do all this work :)

[1]: For example, I'm following the Systematic Program Design course with
Gregor Kiczales. The course uses DrRacket for interactive
programming and a language called BSL (Beginning Student
Language).

When I started, my plan was to follow the course in Guile instead,
since the course is about the design method, and not the tools, but
I had to stop very early when I had to do some projects involving
graphics and animation.

Personally, I don't feel the need for something like DrRacket,
but it would have been nice to be able to find a Guile "canvas" or a
2D game library to play easily with basic graphics and animations.
[2]: https://developer.gnome.org/
[3]: https://developer.gnome.org/gnome-devel-demos/stable/
[4]: https://developer.gnome.org/references (see Language Bindings section)

---