Re: How to make GNU Guile more successful

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: How to make GNU Guile more successful
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 18:18:15 +0100

Michael Vehrs writes:

> On 02/20/2017 09:41 PM, Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
>> Michael Vehrs <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> As a late-comer to this discussion, here are my two cents. The thing I
>>> miss most is a central package repository like Eggs Unlimited
>>> (http://wiki.call-cc.org/chicken-projects/egg-index-4.html), or the
>>> Racket Package List (http://pkgs.racket-lang.org/), or CPAN, of course.
>>> Sure, a bespoke package manager might be nifty, but a single curated
>>> list of packages would be a game-changer.
>> In theory we have guildhall for this: https://github.com/ijp/guildhall
>
> In theory, yes. But there isn't actually very much available in the
> repository.

I think the main reasons for that are (a) that it’s unmaintained (you
can’t just get your package added), (b) that it’s underdocumented (it
doesn’t say how to add a package or create a repo in less than 5 steps),
and (c) that there is no web interface for uploading a package.

>> In practice it does not provide a web interface for uploading packages.
>>
>> If you want to do something truly exciting, you could take wingos fibers
>> and build a high performance web interface for guildhall with them.
>
> High performance is not really important in this case. We are not
> talking about gazillions of npm packages.

That’s true. That’s why I wrote exciting :)

You could also use the existing (web server) tools to build such a site.

Best wishes,
Arne