Re: How to make GNU Guile more successful

From: Michael Vehrs
Subject: Re: How to make GNU Guile more successful
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 06:51:20 +0100

On 02/21/2017 07:01 AM, Michael Vehrs wrote:
On 02/20/2017 09:41 PM, Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
Michael Vehrs <address@hidden> writes:

As a late-comer to this discussion, here are my two cents. The thing I
miss most is a central package repository like Eggs Unlimited
(http://wiki.call-cc.org/chicken-projects/egg-index-4.html), or the
Racket Package List (http://pkgs.racket-lang.org/), or CPAN, of course.
Sure, a bespoke package manager might be nifty, but a single curated
list of packages would be a game-changer.
In theory we have guildhall for this: https://github.com/ijp/guildhall

In theory, yes. But there isn't actually very much available in the repository.

In practice it does not provide a web interface for uploading packages.

If you want to do something truly exciting, you could take wingos fibers
and build a high performance web interface for guildhall with them.

High performance is not really important in this case. We are not talking about gazillions of npm packages.

This is something I’d love to do but I fear that it’s not high enough in
my todo list that I’ll actually get it done.¹

Best wishes,
Arne

¹: I became Freenet Release Manager a few months ago. That took away the
    last free time I could allocate to new challenging projects.

If someone had a realistic plan of building something like that, I might be able to contribute. I am not going to tackle it alone.

Regards

Michael

By the way, this (http://sph.mn/content/3e73) is the most complete list of guile projects I have seen so far.

Regards