Re: Guile benchmark

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Guile benchmark
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 21:00:54 +0100

Hi,

On Thu 26 Jan 2017 09:39, Rchar <address@hidden> writes:

> I wanted to compare Guile scheme to other scheme implementations and I found
> this:https://ecraven.github.io/r7rs-benchmarks/benchmark.html
>
> Is Guile slow or fast, comparing to others?

Besides what Mike said, there are two kinds of Schemes in that
benchmark: the ones that compile to native machine code (ahead of time,
either with their own compilers or by emitting C, or just-in-time), and
the ones that run some kind of bytecode interpreter.

Schemes that compile to native code go faster.  Guile compiles to
bytecode right now, so it's generally (though not always!) slower than
the native-compiling schemes.  But compared to the bytecode-interpreter
schemes it's pretty fast.

One day we'll have a native compiler and we can start playing benchmark
games with the big kids :)

Andy