Re: How to make GNU Guile more successful

From: Nala Ginrut
Subject: Re: How to make GNU Guile more successful
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 21:35:33 +0800

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017 at 8:19 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> The .go organization and call gate costs (for example constant string
> conversions) and memory organization and foreign string hardiness issues
> bogging down LilyPond will affect interfacing to every external library
> with a high call rate for processing.

I respect LilyPond contributors and people who put effort on it. But
it's not on my hack-line.
If someone really care about it, it'll be done someday definitely.

> The technical problems won't go away by themselves.
>
> So which migration of a large Python-based application do you expect to
> become a thing without addressing significant amounts of technical
> problems first?  Or how do I have to interpret your "No, I don't think
> so."?

If I don't say "no, I don't think so", should I say "well, yes, Guile
has no chance, let's remove it".? ;-)
I think most of the people in Guile community knows the problems and
difficulties, it's unnecessary to repeat them again, what we need is
to find the solution.
I gave part of solution, and I'm enjoying to go with it.
If you're afraid of "large python based apps", how about get a seat
and see how others solve it?
Anyway, talking the problems and difficulties people already know
again and again is a contribution too. Then we don't need to write
TODO.

Do you think I know nothing about the complexity? I'll tell you that I
love that complexity so I'm in.
When I came to Guile community 7 years ago, I know nothing as a pure newbie.
But now I know I can learn many things each time when I challenge the
difficulties.
If you feel depressed when you face LilyPond, please don't forget I
feel frustrated when I'm debugging the Artanis server-core and our JIT
compiler too.
No one is facing the easy job.

Frankly, I have better idea than migrating all Python pacakges: just
migrate when you need it, or write a better one.
I'm trying to use Guile things in real products, so I'm serious.

I still want to ask "why do we have to compare to Python?"
I'm going to write guile-python3 because some young people in my team
has difficult to use Scheme directly, and we don't want them to
rewrite whole things in Scheme again.
But Guile will bring many potential advantages rather than our current
Python and C++14 combination.

Be more confident, folks.
That's why the answer from me is "no, I don't think so".

Best regards.