Re: GNU Guile 2.1.7 released (beta)

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: GNU Guile 2.1.7 released (beta)
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 17:54:29 +0100

Hi Andy,
sorry for the late reply.
My regular job eats too much time ....

> On Tue 28 Feb 2017 00:00, Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The main problems/TODOs are listed here (same for guile-2.0.13 and 2.1.7):
>> https://ao2.it/tmp/lilypond-guile2/TODO
>> With no warranty for completeness.
>>
>> Let me pick some of them:
>> (1)
>> lilypond filename_名字.ly
>> returns
>> fatal error: failed files: "filename_??????.ly"
>
> Interesting, I would have thought that there would be a difference
> between 2.0.13 and 2.1.7 due to GUILE_INSTALL_LOCALE; I assume you are
> in a UTF-8 locale and that file name is UTF-8?

~$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_TIME=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_NAME=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ALL=

>> (2)
>> Floating point numbers are different in some decimal digits.
>> Possible impact on spacing in a regression-test for utf-8.
>
> If you have more details on the floating-point issue, they are very
> welcome :)

Not really my topic.
Though first reported here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2016-11/msg00156.html

>> (3)
>> Most imortant for users:
>> LilyPond slowed down dramatically. Today I tested a huge file:
>>
>> lilypond 2.19.52 with guile-1.8
>>
>> real    9m8.229s
>> user    6m41.156s
>> sys     0m11.940s
>>
>> lilypond 2.19.56 with guile-2.1.7
>>
>> real    48m45.225s
>> user    65m43.252s
>> sys     0m6.320s
>
> Do you have Guile 2.0 numbers as well?
>
> I understand that Lilypond uses the "local-eval" facility a lot for
> embedded Scheme.  This is a facility that was indeed faster in 1.8.  I
> would expect that 2.1.7 would be faster than 2.0, if that were the case,
> as 2.1.7's evaluator is faster.  Hard to say, though.  That interface
> does not get a lot of speed attention.  We could take a look and see
> what we can do.  I guess we need some profiling first.

Here some findings:

(1)
released lilypond-2.19.52 with guile-1.8.7

real    8m16.191s
user    6m39.864s
sys    0m10.860s

(2)
lilypond with guile-2.0.14 build from guile-git-repository, branch
remotes/origin/stable-2.0

real    34m11.762s
user    45m11.316s
sys    0m5.604s

(3)
lilypond with guile-2.1.7 build from guile-git-repository, branch master

real    67m29.132s
user    93m14.812s
sys    0m7.332s

More info in my reply to Arne on the user-list:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2017-03/msg00042.html

> Can you run lilypond under callgrind under 1.8 and 2.1.7 and attach the
> generated callgrind.out.PID for each run?  Run like this:
>
>   valgrind --tool=callgrind --num-callers=20 lilypond foo.ly

Running valgrind on the same .ly-file as for my tests above is insane,
I aborted it after several (far too many) hours.
Let me try to find some ly-code/file of medium size to do so.

Thanks,
  Harm