Re: Guile foreign object interface

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Guile foreign object interface
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2017 20:31:10 +0200

> From: address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès)
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2017 18:26:09 +0100
>
> > FYI, I've communicated (and occasionally disagreed) with David for
> > many years, and I can assure you that you see something that simply
> > isn't there.  He sometimes uses such "colorful" descriptions to make a
> > point more clear, that's all.  People should be allowed to use their
> > personal style when writing, without being reprimanded, IMO.
>
> I’m all for personal style, but I’m against passive-aggressive or downright
> aggressive style.

That's what I'm trying to tell you: there's no aggression.  I once
thought like you, but experience of communicating with David taught me
I was wrong.

> The problem is not whether the person who writes is well-meaning or not;
> the problem is how others perceive it.

I'm saying that you are reading into David's words something that
isn't there, not only in meaning, but also not in form.  You are
misinterpreting his words, which might not be surprising, given that
we all are trying to communicate in a language that is not our first
one.  Things might sound aggressive when they really aren't.

> If I, as an old-timer and maintainer, feel attacked when reading
> these messages

I don't see why you should feel attacked.  FWIW, I see no attack in
David's messages.  He's opinionated, that's for sure.  But there's a
difference between that and an attack.

> We’d be doing a disservice to our group by sending the message that it’s
> OK to be harsh to others.

Indeed, we would.  But there's nothing particularly harsh in David's
messages.  I think it would make this list friendlier if people's
words are not taken as an attack just because they disagree with the
project leaders.  We should be able to disagree and still stay
colleagues in our common quest.