Re: How to make GNU Guile more successful

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: How to make GNU Guile more successful
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 10:55:40 +0100

Vítor De Araújo writes:

> (Or maybe package _names_ could be URLs pointing to an index in a
> well-defined format, which tells how to download each version of a
> package; then we could have even dependency management without a
> central repository. I'm pipe-dreaming here, though.)

You’re not just dreaming:

https://github.com/plande/compan/blob/master/compan.scm

    ;; clone the repository and load (lib) module from the top level:
    (load-modules ("https://bitbucket.org/panicz/dogma"; (lib)))

    ;; as above, but load modules from "libraries" directory:
    (load-modules (("https://github.com/panicz/pamphlet"; "libraries")
(pamphlet)))

    ;; one can also fix on a particular tag/branch/commit:
    (load-modules (("https://bitbucket.org/panicz/dogma"; "." "3884445191c2")
(lib)))

We’d just have to decide to use this.

Best wishes,