lilypond progress

From: Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: lilypond progress
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 18:37:14 +0100

Hi,

With all this focus on problems, I’d like to give a perspective on
progress with Lilypond:

In the past 6 years Guile 2.x for Lilypond changed from "it does not
work at all and Lilypond might be purged from distros" to "it’s a lot
slower but it fully works"

The path forward changed from "get Lilypond on Guile 2.x to work at all
or we go down" to "speed up Lilypond on Guile 2.x".

And the risk changed from "Lilypond on Guile 2.x might be infeasible and
all users might lose Lilypond" to "Lilypond might regress to the speed
it had 3 years ago¹ which might temporarily render it too slow for some
users".

¹: Factor 4 is just 36 months of hardware development.

All that with the promise that the right kind of optimizations might
actually make Lilypond on Guile 2.x significantly faster than on Guile
1.8.

TLDR: That’s great progress! The future of Lilypond is already
      secure. It might become even more awesome than Lilypond on 1.8.

I know it might not always look like that, but take a step back: Wow!

Kudos to all involved and all tackling it today!

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein