Re: lilypond progress

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: lilypond progress
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 10:48:33 +0100

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> skribis:

> Additionally let me say, without being able to give a proof, for small
> and medium ly-scores I've got the impression lily-guile-2.1.8 is
> faster than with guile-2.0.14 and 2.1.7 and the gap to lily with
> guile-1.8.8 is not that wide anymore.

LilyPond evaluates all its code.  In 2.0, ‘eval’ was rewritten in
Scheme, which is really nice from a maintenance viewpoint, but also
means that ‘eval’ is slower than 1.8’s ‘eval’, because we’re ‘eval’
itself is interpreted bytecode.  In 2.2, ‘eval’ is still written in
Scheme but the compiler and VM have made a lot of progress, which is why
your results show performance closer to 1.8.

However, you’ll get all the benefits of 2.0 and 2.2 once as much
LilyPond code is pre-compiled.  Do you think you could copy the .go
makefilery from other projects and see how it goes?

Thanks,
Ludo’.