RE: You missed my later work

From: Jeremiah
Subject: RE: You missed my later work
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 16:28:25 -0400

I had recently watched your FOSDEM talk
https://fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/guixsdbootstrap/ [fosdem.org]
Which you seem to have confused my hex assembler as an end in itself, rather
than the first step in Stage0

Basically, I decided to steal a good idea from the C and pascal languages
(o-code and p-code specificly)
Define a trivial to implement virtual machine (vm.c vm.h vm_decode.c and
vm_instructions.c [optionally tty.c and/or dynamic_execution_trace.c but
neither is required])
Who's entire instruction set is define in ISA_HEX_Map.org

That way all platforms can independently verify every step

Looking at your work, I can't help but wonder if we might be making that
bootstrap step harder than it has to be.
What if we converted my lisp interpreter into a lisp compiler? Could that
simplify your initial bootstrap?
Since instead of trying to do the full C compiler in scheme in a single step,
we could do:
Primitive_scheme -> minimal_scheme -> full_scheme -> done

What do you think?

Jeremiah Orians
State of Michigan