Re: miniAdapton

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: miniAdapton
Date: Mon, 1 May 2017 11:07:31 +0200

> Héllo!
>

> Le 29/04/2017 à 12:40, Catonano a écrit :
>
>> I'd like to run miniAdapton in Guile
>>
>> here's the repo
>> https://github.com/fisherdj/miniAdapton
>>
>> Now: how do I get it running in Guile ?
>>
>> What are those .sld files ?
>>
>> What about thos "define-library" and "library" forms ? Are those a r7rs
>> thing ?
>>
>> For reference:
>>
>> here's an amazing talk given by the awesome William Byrd
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmpu1N2yf-k&feature=youtu.be
>>
>> here's an article
>> http://scheme2016.snow-fort.org/static/schemeworkshop2016-miniadapton.pdf
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>

> Well, this requires a more time that I want to give to it to understand
> it correctly.

It seems to me that you already understood a lot !

> FYI the following works:
>
> ~/src/guile/miniAdapton$ guile -L .
> GNU Guile 2.2.0
> Copyright (C) 1995-2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
> This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.
>
> Enter `,help' for help.
> scheme@(guile-user)> (use-modules (miniadapton))
> scheme@(guile-user)> (define-avar a 1)
> scheme@(guile-user)> (avar-get a)
> $1 = 1
> scheme@(guile-user)> (define-avar b 2)
> scheme@(guile-user)> (define-avar c (+ (avar-get a) (avar-get b)))
> scheme@(guile-user)> (avar-get c)
> $2 = 3
> scheme@(guile-user)> (avar-set! a 10)
> scheme@(guile-user)> (avar-get c)
> $3 = 12

Wonderful. So those "deine-library" and "library" forms are a vanilla
feature of Guile !

> In theory this kind of framework could be put to good use, to implement
> the equivalent of PostgreSQL Materialized view [1] that are refreshed
> automatically.
>
> How do you want to use it?

I want to keep a database AND a datastructure in ram in synch. I don't want
to read a view, for that.

I used to read the db when I was using your grf3, but now I'd lie to
minimize the traffic to/from the db.

> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-createmat
> erializedview.html

Thanks for your help !