Re: Guile-CV: Not a GRAY, RGB nor an RGBA image "sand.tif"

From: David Pirotte
Subject: Re: Guile-CV: Not a GRAY, RGB nor an RGBA image "sand.tif"
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2017 00:23:31 -0200

Hello Mark,

> >> unfortunately that's not the problem, I am in the right directory and
> >> the image is there. I still get that error.

> > This is impossible :), you think you are in the right directory, but you
> > most
> > likely you are not.

> David, with all due respect, this last response to Daniele comes off as
> very dismissive and presumptuous to me.

I'm very sorry you did feel this way: that image is part of the images
distributed
with Guile-CV, so it definitely loads, as shown in my pasted an example in the
previous, partially quoted message (by Daniele), quoted (partially) but missing
the
working example lines ... Hence my 'this is impossible :)', a funny tone, in my
intention, while an invitation to try other (suggested) things to find out the
cause
(which is not the image format).

Since that image is distributed with Guile-CV, unless the file was somehow
corrupted
(which I also suggest a command to double check), the problem is really a path
problem.

Daniele,

Could you try to load the image specifying the full path name and report here
thanks:

        ,use (cv)
        (im-load "/your-guile-cv-clone-path/doc/images/sand.tif")

> The error message "Not a GRAY, RGB nor an RGBA image" would seem to
> indicate that the image Daniele is attempting to load is not supported
> by the image loading library, or at least that this is a possibility.

That message comes from Guile-CV itself, and intentionally covers both cases. I
can
change that.

> ...  I find it hard to believe that the software developer who wrote this code
> would have written "Not a GRAY, RGB nor an RGBA image" if it *always* meant
> "file
> not found".

I did, nobody is perfect :). It does not *always* mean "file not found", it
covers
both this case and a 'wrong format' (or corrupted file) ... I'll change that
and push
a fix asap.

Cheers,
David

For info:

> According to Wikipedia, TIFF supports image types other than GRAY, RGB,
> and RGBA.  Baseline TIFF also supports bilevel and palette-color images,
> and there are extensions that support CMYK, YCbCr, CIE L*a*b* and
> others.

Guile-CV relies on Vigra for all image formats it allows, and Vigra depends on
third libraries (see Guile-CV and Vigra doc for more info on this) ...  in this
particular case, it will accept and load any tiff file 'accepted' by libtiff.