Re: neon: git for structured data [Was: Functional database]

From: amirouche
Subject: Re: neon: git for structured data [Was: Functional database]
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 23:32:27 +0100

Here is a small update on the neon project.

I implemented what could prolly be called naive
query engine that somewhat follows SPARQL specification.

Remember neon is quad store, that stores a *set* of 4-tuples
that looks like the following:

 (graph, subject, predicate, object)

Or in more casual terms:

 (namespace, uid, key, value)

It's a *set*. It means you can have that:

("hyperdev.fr" "metadata" "description" "a blog about programming")

And another tuple with another description:

("hyperdev.fr" "metadata" "description" "space muse")

That is (namespace, uid, key) is not unique.

Given that schema, SPARQL is basically pattern matching
scheme over the tuples. The only thing that I plan to add
to this part of the program is filtering because it allows
to speed up the pattern matching in some cases.

I am not sure how to implement OPTIONAL [0] so I leave it
for later.

[0] https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query/#optionals

There is a lot more to do and I am a bit lost about
the goals of the project. neon seems pretty overkill
for a blog engine. I don't have a particular need for
it actually. The idea of building a community that builds
knowledge bases but I am not sure how to proceed.

BTW, forget about the task that I said would be useful
in the previous mail.

I made a small video:

 wget http://hyperdev.fr/static/gnu-guile-hacking-15.mp4

The project is still hosted at the following address:

 https://github.com/amirouche/neon

Happy hacking!