snarfing docstrings in c extensions

From: Samuel Barreto
Subject: snarfing docstrings in c extensions
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2018 20:59:32 +0200

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to write a GSL wrapper in guile. I have written a lot of
simple functions using SCM_DEFINE and documented them using the last
SCM_DEFINE macro argument.

Now I'd like to make those docstrings accessible from Scheme code.
The way I do it for now is with this makefile instructions:

%.doc: %.c
        /wherevere/guile/source/code/is/libguile/guile-snarf-docs -o $@ $< \
        -- $(CFLAGS)

%.texi: %.doc
        cat $< | guild snarf-check-and-output-texi > $@

And then call makeinfo on it.
(I had to change some hardcoded path in the guile-snarf-docs scripts so
that it worked from another directory btw.)

So I do am able to generate the info files that I want. My two problems
are:

1. how to use guile-snarf-docs portably ? (I have hardcoded them in my
   Makefile for now.)
2. how to "link" them with functions defined in the extensions ? (I have
   tried to (set! documentation-files "PATH/TO/doc.txt") but I think I
   miss a step so that (procedure-documentation my-gsl-function) returns
   the docstring I want)

And from a broader perspective, is it the way it is supposed to work ? I
mean, am I doing it the right way or are other "guile-extension-writers"
doing it otherwise ?

Thank you for your help,
samuel