Re: Trouble trying to use some modules from the docs (Matt Wette)

From: Zelphir Kaltstahl
Subject: Re: Trouble trying to use some modules from the docs (Matt Wette)
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 18:35:04 +0200

On 03.06.2018 18:00, address@hidden wrote:
> On 06/02/2018 10:13 AM, Zelphir Kaltstahl wrote:
>> Hello Guile mailing list members,
>>
>> Guile Scheme beginner here.
>>
>> I want to play with network programming things in Guile a little, but I
>> cannot figure out how to use the modules, which are described in the
>> docs at
>> https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/Network-Sockets-and-Communication.html
>> .
>>
>> There is no (use-modules ...) example anywhere I looked and I could also
>> not find any examples in search engines. For other modules I somehow
>> always found an example (use-modules ...) somewhere, mostly in the docs.
>>
>> Is there some inherent way of simply knowing how to import a module? I
>> did not read all of the docs from front to back, but that really should
>> not be necessary in order to use some part of it.
>>
>> What I've tried already:
>>
>> (use-modules (ice-9 posix))? ; maybe the same way many other things are
>> imported?
>> (use-modules (posix))? ; maybe it's its own module?
>> (use-modules (std posix))? ; maybe "std" for "standard" works?
>>
>> None of those worked in the REPL.
>>
>> A search on Github:
>>
>> https://github.com/cky/guile/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=use-modules+posix&type=
>>
>> Yielded the following interesting result:
>>
>> https://github.com/cky/guile/blob/c1eb929258fc6b9653d31c0d1bc654d9e300d4e5/module/ice-9/boot-9.scm#L1445
>>
>> But why does (use-modules (ice-9 posix)) not work then? I am out of ideas.
>>
>> Can you point me to the part of the docs, which explain how to always
>> know how to import a module, if there is such? Or, if there is no such
>> thing, can you help me out in this case?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Zelphir
>>
> The manual is not crystal clear in all uses of procedures.  The posix
> procedures are built-in so
> no `(use-module ...)' is necessary.  The test is to just type the procedure
> name. You will get a
> procedure object in return. see example below. (Note this does not work with
> syntax.)
>
> mwette$ guile
> GNU Guile 2.2.3
> Copyright (C) 1995-2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
> This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.
>
> Enter `,help' for help.
>
> scheme@(guile-user)> getaddrinfo
> $1 = #<procedure getaddrinfo (_ #:optional _ _ _ _ _)>
>
> scheme@(guile-user)>

Thank you!

Something must be up with either the Guile REPL or the Guile REPL inside
Emacs' M-x shell. I tried to run socket in it and it could not find
that. I also ran other code before that, so maybe the issue was, that
that somehow prevented the REPL from finding the bindings. However, now
that I tried what you wrote in a completely new REPL in a XFCE terminal,
it works flawlessly. And such a thing has happened to me before with
another module inside Emacs M-x shell mode.
I think what I can take from this is, that if there is no use-modules
part in the docs, it is likely available without running such and if it
is not available I should check outside of Emacs in a standard terminal
emulator.