Re: Trouble trying to use some modules from the docs (Matt Wette)

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Trouble trying to use some modules from the docs (Matt Wette)
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2018 15:36:41 -0400

Hi,

Zelphir Kaltstahl <address@hidden> writes:

> Something must be up with either the Guile REPL or the Guile REPL inside
> Emacs' M-x shell. I tried to run socket in it and it could not find
> that. I also ran other code before that, so maybe the issue was, that
> that somehow prevented the REPL from finding the bindings. However, now
> that I tried what you wrote in a completely new REPL in a XFCE terminal,
> it works flawlessly. And such a thing has happened to me before with
> another module inside Emacs M-x shell mode.

Can you please post a transcript demonstrating the problem that you're
seeing while trying to run 'socket' in Emacs shell mode, starting from
the beginning of the REPL session?

In general, it's much more useful to show us the precise commands you
typed, and the precise error message, than to write "I tried to run
socket in it and it could not find that".  I'd like to understand what's
going on here.  I use the Guile REPL from within Emacs all the time, and
it's far more convenient to use from within Emacs than within a bare
terminal.  It would be good to get to the bottom of this.

     Regards,
       Mark