Re: [ANN] gzochi project development release 0.12

From: Julian Graham
Subject: Re: [ANN] gzochi project development release 0.12
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2018 17:29:34 -0400

Hi Arne!

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 5:07 PM Arne Babenhauserheide <address@hidden> wrote:
> I looked into the documentation and didn’t find an example how such a
> game would look, but the example in the docs was too minimal to
> understand what I can do with gzochi. And I did not understand how users
> would launch the game (essentially: What shell command to run to start
> the game).
>
> Do you have a somewhat larger example online, along with deployment info?

Yes! The source distribution ships with client- and server-side code
for two example games: AberMUD and MazeWar. The easiest way to get
started would be to build the server container, deploy one of the
server-side game implementations, then build and run its associated
client. For example:

$ cd gzochi-0.12/gzochi-server
$ ./configure && make

...then, to deploy and launch the AberMUD example server:

$ cd meta/deploy
$ ln -s ../../../examples/abermud/server abermud
$ cd ..
$ ./gzochid

Then, to build and run the AberMUD example client:

$ cd gzochi-0.12/examples/abermud/client
$ ./configure && make
$ cd src
$ ./abermud localhost 8001

> Can I find these examples without installing so that I can have a quick
> look how the game code reads?

Yes! The server-side implementations probably have the strongest
dependency on the framework. See:

- https://gitlab.com/joolean/gzochi/tree/master/examples/abermud/server
  - E.g.,
https://gitlab.com/joolean/gzochi/blob/master/examples/abermud/server/gzochi/example/abermud.scm