Re: How to get started in guile & programming generally

From: tomas
Subject: Re: How to get started in guile & programming generally
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 10:07:14 +0200

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 11:42:51PM +0200, Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:

> Joshua Branson <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > It gets really interesting when you start telling these processes to
> > transform the underlying data.  They currently have a translator that
> > translates an xml file into a directory tree.  Imagine searching an html
> > file with the "find" tool.  Wouldn't that be something different?
>
> Or imagine installing a packages from remote servers with shell globbing:
>
> pkg --install /http://ftp.gnu.org/packages/*/*.deb
>
> Last time I used the Hurd, some variant of this actually worked.

Like this (note: my comments interspersed, prefixed with ###)

  ### note the option '-s' -- I don't want to clobber my box!

  address@hidden:~$ apt-get -s install '*php*'
  NOTE: This is only a simulation!
        apt-get needs root privileges for real execution.
        Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
        so don't depend on the relevance to the real current situation!
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
  Note, selecting 'php-horde-timeobjects' for glob '*php*'
  Note, selecting 'libphp-jpgraph-examples' for glob '*php*'
  Note, selecting 'php-exif' for glob '*php*'
  Note, selecting 'php-symfony-form' for glob '*php*'
  Note, selecting 'php5-mapscript' for glob '*php*'
  Note, selecting 'php-letodms-core' for glob '*php*'

  ### many, many, MANY lines elided -- roughly 250

  Note, selecting 'php-tideways' instead of 'php7.0-tideways'
  Note, selecting 'php-xdebug' instead of 'php7.0-xdebug'

  ### this, of course, isn't bound to end well:

  or been moved out of Incoming.

   php-apcu : Conflicts: php-yac but 2.0.1+0.9.2-1 is to be installed
   php-horde-groupware : Conflicts: horde-bundle
                         Breaks: php-horde-webmail but 5.2.17-1 is to be
installed
   php-horde-webmail : Conflicts: horde-bundle
                       Breaks: php-horde-groupware but 5.2.17-1 is to be
installed
   php-nrk-predis : Conflicts: libphp-predis
   php-sabre-http : Breaks: php-sabre-dav (< 1.9) but 1.8.12-3 is to be
installed
   php-yac : Conflicts: php-apcu but 5.1.8+4.0.11-1 is to be installed
             Conflicts: php-user-cache
   python-phply : Conflicts: python3-phply but 1.0.0-1 is to be installed
   python3-phply : Conflicts: python-phply but 1.0.0-1 is to be installed

What's my point?

  - Debian has some headstart: it's absolutely worth learning
    from them
  - Perhaps other distros also know how to play this trick
  - Selecting packages by name via some string matching may have
    ummm... strange consequences ;-D

Don't get me wrong: I do think Guix goes into the absolutely right
direction, as opposed to the current cloudy container craze.

Cheers
- -- tomás