Re: How to get started in guile & programming generally

From: Joshua Branson
Subject: Re: How to get started in guile & programming generally
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2018 12:26:28 -0400

Arne Babenhauserheide <address@hidden> writes:

> Joshua Branson <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Arne Babenhauserheide <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I mean you can make a lot of difference by writing translators, in the
>>> language you choose.
>>
>> Oh really?  I was under the impression that only translators written in
>> C are helpful at this point.  I thought that writing translators written
>> in other languages was too brittle.
>
> That just depends on the quality of the bindings you create. Though I’m
> not fully up to date: My information is ~7 years old.

Oh ok.  I hadn't thought about creating bindings for other languages.
The Hurd wiki mentions that in an ideal world, one would create a way to
write translators in a high level language, but not use the current Hurd
C bindings.   If you do that, then the translators can be written in
more flexible ways.