Re: A value for "nothing"

From: Edwin Watkeys
Subject: Re: A value for "nothing"
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 18:23:07 -0400

Yes, in a way. A measurement is NA if it is not applicable e.g. a color does
not have a mass, whereas NAV is used in contexts where there is a relevant
value but it was not retrieved, was lost, was recorded but is indecipherable,
was recorded but was corrupted, was recorded but was eaten by the dog, or some
similar reason.

The philosopher in me would say NA is an ontological nothingness whereas NAV is
an epistemological nothingness.

Edwin Watkeys; 917-324-2435.