Re: Explaining raising conditions and defining condition types in the gu

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Explaining raising conditions and defining condition types in the guile manual
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2018 17:09:26 +0100

Hello,

swedebugia <address@hidden> skribis:

> Reading in the Guile manual I did not find a section describing this
> use of exceptions:
>
> (raise (condition (...
>
> ^ used by Ludo here:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/system/mapped-devices.scm#n145
>
> It seems elegant and nice and maybe a generic example based on it
> could fit somewhere in the manual. :)
>
> By searching for "&message" i at last found the implementation
> detailing r6ns exceptions in the guile manual but there were no
> examples or prose explaining what they are good for.

‘raise’ is from (srfi srfi-34) and ‘condition’, ‘&message’, and friends
are from (srfi srfi-35):

  https://gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/SRFI_002d34.html
  https://gnu.org/software/guile/manual/html_node/SRFI_002d35.html

The R6RS exception mechanism is close to but different from SRFI-34/35,
and I presume the R7RS mechanism is likewise close to but different from
both R6 and SRFI-34/35.  :-)

HTH!

Ludo’.