Re: Beginner questions

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: Beginner questions
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 20:59:12 +0100

Neil,

Il giorno lun 19 nov 2018 alle ore 10:02 Neil Jerram <
address@hidden> ha scritto:

> On 18 November 2018 19:33:31 GMT, Catonano <address@hidden> wrote:
> >Il giorno lun 29 ott 2018 alle ore 22:58 swedebugia
> ><address@hidden>
> >ha scritto:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I would like to learn more scheme and I would like to make a small
> >CLI
> >> program that runs in the terminal and prompts the user for input and
> >> evaluates it.
> >>
> >> Is that possible with guile? In the REPL?
> >>
> >> Can someone point me in the right direction for succeding with that?
> >>

> > Hi
> >
> >I am curious: did you manage to put together a prototype of this thing
> >prompting a user in the terminal ?
>
> In case it's of interest, I wrote this kind of thing a few years ago: a
> command loop for Guile where you can register possible commands, and each
> command has a spec like the Emacs 'interactive' form that says what the
> args are and how to prompt for them.
>
> The command loop entry point is at
> http://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/ossaulib.git/tree/ossau/command-loop.scm
> and the dependency modules are all included in that git repo.
>
> Best wishes,
>      Neil

thank you

But I'm a bit overwhelmed by so much code

a tiny example of reading a short string that a user could type at a prompt
would be more useful to a beginner, I think

I came up with this short example

(use-modules (ice-9 rdelim))

(let ((str (read-line (current-input-port))))
    (display (string-append str "\n")))

it's extremely essential but it demonstrates the usage of the current input
port in association with delimited text reading

This is a very basic use case, intended as an example, a step 0 for further
developments

Guile could use some more examples, in its manual

Thanks !